A diet rich in antioxidants and chlorophyll is especially necessary while detoxing. Antioxidants include vitamins A, C & E, which can be taken as supplements, but are more readily absorbed from consuming a variety of colourful fruit and vegetables. Leafy vegetables are a great choice and tend to have the highest source of chlorophyll, one of the main substances in super-green foods such as spirulina and chlorella.
Juicing fruit and vegetables has a powerful anti-oxidizing effect. Admittedly, in today’s economical environment, juicing can be expensive, costing as much as €20 for fruit and vegetebables that may only last for two days. On a ten day detox it can add up! Thankfully, there are plenty of other affordable ways to use foods. Here are some good tips:
1. Hot water with a squeeze of lemon juice is one of the most powerful anti-oxidizing drinks. Even though lemons are considered an acidic fruit, the constitution of the fruit changes when it hits the digestive system becoming alkaline. It is the best thing you can do for your digestive system first thing in the morning.
2. Green tea, rich in chlorophyll. There are many green teas now available on the market. Some can be very expensive, such as Macha, however more affordable brands are widely available. Sencha is very popular.
3. Make salads, soups or steam with these chlorophyll rich foods including chard, kale, collard, mustard, spinach, alfalfa, sea vegetables, leaf lettuce, broccoli and green beans. Use these instead of spending money on expensive supplements such as spirulina, chlorella, and green algae.
4. Add herbs and spices to your diet that have powerful anti-oxidizing benefits such as tumeric, ginger root, oregano, cyan pepper, parsley and rosemary.
5. Brown rice is powerful liver cleanser so make sure you add lots to your diet. Try brown basmati rice.
6. Oat is a powerful colon cleanser. Along with porridge in the morning time, oatcakes are great to have on your side to snack throughout your day.
• Eliminates/reduces toxins and pollutants in the body
• Purifies Blood
• Promotes healthy eating
• Cleanses mucus congestion
• Improves digestion
• Promotes weight loss.
• Increased energy
• Reforms lifestyle addictions to sugar, caffeine, alcohol
• Increases Metabolism
• Promotes clarity of mind and sharp focus
• Improves Concentration
• Improves skins complexion
• Improves general sense well-being
• Improves flexibility
• Deepens yoga practice
• Promotes ease in meditation.
Next week I’ll post a 20 minute detox yoga practice.
Hope to see you soon on the yoga mat.